If you want to give up smoking, doing this simple exercise will help alot. In fact, after having followed the instructions of this exercise some smokers never smoke an other cigarette again.
One of the major reasons some people find it easy to give up smoking is that they have come to a series of negative experience, recent in time to each other, all connected to smoking. These negative experiences, and the feelings connected to them, makes the repulsion to smoking stronger than the craving for it.
If you are a smoker, you might have had bad experiences of smoking as well, but they probably didn't follow very closely after each other, and there might have been prolonged times in between each bad experience.
Now, this exercise might not be very comfortable, but it will certainly strengthen your motivation to lay off cigarettes.
Effective NLP Exercise to Stop Smoking on Your Own:
- Think of three different times when you have had uncomfortable feelings about smoking and wished you didn't do so. It could have been when you were really out of breath, or a time when someone you knew died of a smoking related diease or perhaps when you had to go outside, all by yourself somewhere, in order to smoke a cigarette. Take your time and make sure you have your three memories clear in your mind.
(Read through the rest of the instructions before following them)
- Now, make the first of these memories as strong as possible. Feel what you felt, hear what you heard and see what you saw at the time you felt bad about smoking. Feel it intensely, and the regret and discomfort about smoking you felt at the time.
- Go into the second memory and do the same, and after that the third memory.
- Make sure, that for each memory you go through, you make the repulsion to smoking as vivid and strong as possible.
- Go through each memory again and again, with one memory overlapping the other. Do this for about about 8 to 10 times, and each time you do it, go faster and faster through each memory. Then stop and think about smoking a cigarette! You will probably find that smoking doesn't feel very appealing after having done this exercise.
- Do this exercise each day for about three to four days and you will find it much easier to quit smoking.
If you still find it hard to give up smoking after you have done the above exercise for a couple of days, please feel free to contact me. By phone or in person, I can give you a personal session that will help you easily quit smoking by giving you the most powerful tools to do so. Read more about smoking and what can be done to stop here.